Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Professor violated my independence.

My prof. touched me, he tried to kiss me and he grabbed me and made me his supper play thing for a night. The whole time I wanted it to end, I felt slimy and drunk and powerless, But this guy was my prof. he actually listened and made me feel smart. I thought that I was "one of his favorite students" because of my unique views and intelligence. Hell, he was the only man/professor to ever tell me that "law school would be a breeze for me academically." He sat me down and wanted the best for me academically, but he is going to be asked to leave the university. Because although it would have been easy to just go on and pretend that this never happen, and continue telling him my thoughts on gender, war, environment, politics, getting excellent letters of recomendation from a big important name and gaining more research experience for my poor undergrad vulnerable ass, I wouldn't be myself if I didn't tell. I fight for survivors rights all day long, I scream at rally's for equality, I follow women through some really difficult times, but honestly, it took me awhile until I had the courage to tell someone what my professor did. And it took even more courage to let go of all the things he ever told me. My professor will be getting fired this summer because of what he did to me, he is 81, he will never touch a student again and I feel a little guilty about telling, because I am not a vindictive person and I don't think that punishing him will do any good, but teaching him (even though he is 81) about gender roles, and male privillages, and about being a fucking asshole, and the consquences they have on the survivors may. But the school doesn't like that idea, it would take too much time and be too much of a liability. There ya go I have no say in what's going to happen and I am powerless again.
I am still sturggling with the idea, but more so I am struggling with disappointment. I know sexual harrassment comes with being a woman, I know I can't walk down the streets without getting sexually harrassed in some way, but when it comes from people of power you begin to feel as though your choices are limited, be the "bitch" who tells or the "whore" who stays.
Regardless this whole situation has been an important part of my life, and I now know that when push comes to shove I am strong enough to put others before my own wishes, regardless of the consequences.
I also now know that my figure is going to be the first thing on mens minds, no matter what their age, or level of authority is. I don't think I am looking forward to the real world.

No comments: